Financial Aid FAQs

Expand All Collapse All
  • What is the federal code number for Daytona State College?

    The federal code number is 001475.

  • What is the application process to receive grants and loans?

    We require students to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  Be sure to add Daytona State’s school code 001475 during Step 6. Filing online will allow the school to receive the information within 5-7 business days. Paper applications are available and will take approximately 4-6 weeks for the government to process.

    Students who would like to practice completing the FAFSA can pick up a FAFSA worksheet at any DSC Financial Aid office.

  • What are the basic eligibility requirements for federal and state financial aid?
    • Be a United States citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
    • Be enrolled as at least a half-time student (half-time enrollment is a minimum of six credits in college credit coursework leading to a degree or certificate, or be enrolled for the applicable clock hours in a clock hour certificate program, and therefore excludes audited classes) Spring, or Summer Semester enrollment in a program of study abroad which has been approved by Daytona State, may be considered enrolled at the College for the purpose of applying for federal aid.
    • Be accepted at Daytona State as a "regular" student. A "regular" student is a student pursuing an AA, AS, BAS, or BS degree or an approved college credit or vocational certificate.
    • Be enrolled in an eligible program of study, and be enrolled in courses required by that program. Eligible programs are post-secondary programs, which lead to an AA, AS, BAS, or BS degree or an approved college credit or vocational certificate.
    • Be making progress toward completion of courses of study in compliance with Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards.
    • Not be in default on a loan or owe a repayment on any previous federal or state grant received.
      Be registered with the Selective Service, if required to do so.
    • Have a standard high school diploma or GED®. The official high school transcript or official GED® transcript must be submitted to the Admissions Office. Please check with Admissions regarding the requirements to submit the official high school or GED® transcript.
    • Have a valid Social Security Number
  • If I am not eligible for a federal Pell Grant, do I qualify for other types of aid?

    Yes, we review students meeting basic eligibility requirements for other types of financial assistance, including other grants. Most students will also qualify for Direct Subsidized Loans or Direct Unsubsidized Loans based on the student’s need. Additionally, dependent student’s parents can apply for federal Parent PLUS Loans.  

  • How will I know what information is necessary to complete my award?

    We notify students by email and missing items will show as initiated on a student’s To Do list. You should check your FalconMail and To Do list often. If the information no longer appears on your To Do list, we have reviewed and accpeted the item.

    The U.S. Department of Education randomly selects 1/3 of our student population for a process called verification. This process will require students, and parents, to submit tax transcript information and documentation to help determine if the information provided on the FAFSA is accurate.

  • What do I do if my income changes?

    If there is a substantial change to you, or your parent’s, income during the current calendar year, please contact us. We may be able to revise the FAFSA information you reported. These are special circumstances and we will require additional documentation. Providing this documentation does not guarantee additional financial assistance.

  • Where do I go to learn about other scholarships?

    Unlike federal and state grants, which are typically need-based, the Daytona State College Foundation offers many scholarships to students each semester. Students apply each semester using our online application during the application period.

    We also encourage students to apply for external, or private, scholarships, not affiliated with the college. These may include scholarships found through local civic organizations or through online searches.

  • How do I apply for Daytona State College Foundation Scholarships?

    Student can apply by selecting Apply Now on the Scholarships page. Some scholarships do require a separate application, as noted on the website.

  • Can I defer my tuition bill if I have financial aid?

    Yes, students can defer their tuition bill with a complete financial aid file. This includes completion of the entrance counseling and a master promissory note (MPN) for students taking out Direct Loans.

  • Can I use my financial aid to buy books?

    Students who have an approved financial aid award prior to the start of classes are able to receive an advance of excess financial aid, called a book voucher, to assist in purchasing books.

  • When is financial aid disbursed?

    We begin disbursing financial aid after the add/drop published on the Academic Calendar period ends, in order to allow us to verify student’s enrollment.

    Students enrolled in only 3 credits for A-term, may not be eligible to receive a Direct Loan disbursement until after B-term begins.