Advising FAQs

Expand All Collapse All
  • I've changed my mind about my major. What do I do?

    If you want to change your major you will need to meet with an Academic Advisor to review the requirements of the new major and discuss the implications of changing your major. Once the advisor goes over the information with you they will change the major for you.

  • If I am getting my AA Degree at Daytona State, how do I know what I need for transfer to another institution to complete my Bachelor's Degree?

    Students can simultaneously meet requirements of both the AA Degree and intended transfer institution pre requisites if appropriate planning takes place early in the student's education career. Most institutions offering Bachelor's Degree programs require that specific coursework be completed prior to admission into the program. The amount of course work varies depending on the program of study. These additional courses are referred to as Common Prerequisites and can be found online at the transferring institutions website or at Florida Virtual Campus. When students decide upon a major, it is very important to find out what the common prerequisite courses for the program are and plan to complete them as a part of the AA Degree. This will prevent having to take additional courses to meet the common prerequisites. The Academic Advisors have information about the prerequisites for programs at Florida State University System institutions and will help you understand how to fit the required course into your Daytona State degree program.

  • I found the common prerequisites for my major, but it does not give a specific course number. What does this mean?

    Make sure to verify courses that may be prerequisite courses. Some institutions specify course numbers; others give a general category. For example: It may just say Biological Science. It is your (the student's) responsibility to know if that means Survey of Biology for Non-Science Majors or General Biology for Science Majors and whether or not a lab is required. If you take the wrong class, you will not meet requirements and may jeopardize entry into the transfer institution. It will also be additional time and expense to then take the correct course that you should have enrolled in originally. Don't guess about courses thinking that it "sounds like" the same class that will not even be accepted by the transfer institution! Contact the transfer institution for verification if you have any questions.

  • I have a personal issue and cannot attend class anymore. I'll just get dropped since I've quit coming to class, right?

    No. You must formally withdraw from classes. If you no longer can attend classes, you must complete the withdrawal process. If you do not, you will receive an "F". For assistance, you should always start by talking with your instructor. The professors can usually direct you to resources to help you build your skills or can meet with you during office hours to try to get you back on track. They will also give you a realistic perspective of how you are doing in the class. If you need additional help, Academic Support Services offer assistance/tutoring in many subject areas.

  • I see new requirements each year for my program that are different. Which ones do I follow?

    Students usually follow the requirements for your catalog year (the semester and year that you entered the College). If the program requirements change, the degree requirements for any semester of enrollment can be used to meet graduation requirements. If you are in a limited access program, you must already be accepted into the program prior to any changes to avoid having to follow new requirements.

  • Do I have to take courses in the same order as they appear in the program guide/catalog?

    No, you do not have to take them in the same order unless they have pre or co-requisites. If a course does not have a prerequisite, you may take it at any time it is offered. The order in the Catalog is only a suggestion for your success. Any prerequisite or co-requisite requirements are noted in the course description of the Catalog. Some courses in certain programs may only be offered during certain semesters (i.e., only in the Fall).

  • Can I test out of college credit classes?

    Students may test out of college credit classes by taking the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests. Some people come to college with experience that they have already learned through work or other life experiences. Daytona State offers opportunities to earn credit for experience, accepts, advanced placement credits and credit through other approved exams/programs (APLE, CO-OP). Assessment Services has more information and a list of tests available at Daytona State College. Contact Assessment Services if you have any questions.

  • What is grade forgiveness and can I repeat a course that I received a grade of "C" in?

    Grade forgiveness applies when students repeat a course in which they earned a "D" or "F" grade. A student may not repeat the same college credit or college preparatory class to improve a grade of "C" or better (State Board Rule - true at all community colleges in Florida). You may audit a course if you just want a refresher on the course content (with the exception of college prep courses MAT0018, MAT0028, ENC0015, ENC0025, REA0007 and REA0017). A certain limited number of approved courses are repeatable for credit without the penalty of full cost of instruction.

  • I want to take a class at another college and have it apply to my program at Daytona State. What do I do?

    A Transient Student is one who enrolls in two colleges simultaneously. A transient student may be admitted and enrolled at another college or university, but concurrently taking a course or courses at DSC to fulfill the other college's requirements or taking courses at another college to fulfill DSC requirements. Many students use this option because their "home" college or university does not offer the course, does not offer the course at a time convenient for them, or they are in the area of the second college for an extended period of time. Students who wish to be a transient student from DSC to another school must obtain a "Transient Form" from the Records Office on any campus and complete student portion. Records will verify that the student meets the criteria and approve the form. Contact Records for information. If you are coming to DSC from another college, obtain a "Transient Form" from your home institution and bring that to the Admissions Office. Students can also complete the transient form online using Florida Virtual Campus. Students should go to the site and choose "Transfer Information" and the online transient form is available there.