VA Benefits Application Process
Applying for Chapter 30, 31, 33, 35, 1606 as a first-time applicant:
- Go to https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/
- Click on Apply for Benefits, then select Apply Online.
- Click on Launch VONAPP (Veterans Online Application) and Apply for Benefits.
- The VONAPP will appear in a new window. Click Start VONAPP.
- Create a login and password, then log in and complete the application. Be sure to save or your data will be lost.
Allow up to three weeks for processingand to receive a Certificate of Eligibility. If do not receive your certificate, contact the VA directly at (888) 442-4551.
Applying for VA education benefits if you have used your benefits before:
- Chapters 30, 33, and 1606 require a VA form 22-1995. Those who are Chapter 35 require VA form 22-5495.
Veterans Benefit Information
Active Duty Tuition
Military Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, Navy, and Marines. Each military branch has its own tuition assistance form and procedures. Students planning to use Tuition Assistance must first obtain approval from their respective service branch. Please contact your local education center for initial approval. Additional information can be found at the links below:
Education Dollars for Duty - Florida National Guard
The State of Florida has an independent Tuition Assistance Program. The Educational Dollars for Duty (EDD) program is available for Florida National Guard Soldiers and Airmen, and can provide public tuition for the period of the Guard member's service. Visit the Educational Dollars for Duty (EDD) program website or contact The Veteran's Services Office.
Purple Heart Waiver
Students who have received a Purple Heart are eligible for tuition and fee waivers for Florida military veterans who have received a purple heart OR combat decoration that is “superior in precedence.”
- Purple Heart
- Bronze Star (must be “V” designation or device)
- Distinguished Flying Cross
- Legion of Merit (must be “V” designation or device)
- Silver Star
- Air Force Cross
- Navy Cross
- Distinguished Service Cross
- Medal of Honor
The Purple Heart Waiver covers the tuition and fees toward a degree or certificate program up to 110% of the required hours for the program of study. An eligible student enrolled in any associate degree, baccalaureate degree, or career and technical certificate program at a Florida College System institution would qualify. To be eligible, you must prove you are a current resident for tuition purposes.
Service members and honorably discharged Veterans who were awarded a Purple Heart on or after September 11, 2001 will be entitled to Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits at the 100-percent benefit level for up to 36 months. This is effective on August 1, 2018.
WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment)
If you receive education benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB), you’ll need to use WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment) website to verify your enrollment.
WAVE is available 24 hours a day, 7 days per week. You can check the status of your record, and report changes in your veteran affairs directly to VA. WAVE is the only system available to students worldwide.
To verify over the phone, call (877) 823-2378 and follow the instructions.
VA Work Study
The VA work-study allowance is available based on needs of the College to persons who receive VA approved funding for at least 3/4 time basis under the following programs:
- Post-9/11 GI Bill—(38 U.S.C. Chapter 33) (Veterans and transfer-of-entitlement recipients)
- Montgomery GI Bill—Active Duty (38 U.S.C. Chapter 30)
- REAP Participants
- Post-Vietnam Era Veterans' Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 32)
- Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 35)
- Eligible dependents under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 35 may use work study only while training in a State
- National Call to Service Participants
- Veterans Readiness & Employment — (38 U.S.C. Chapter 31)
You'll earn an hourly wage equal to the Federal minimum wage or your State minimum wage, whichever is greater.
If you are interested in applying for VA work study, please reach the Veterans Services Office.