Dr. Shirish Lala is currently serving as the Clinical Coordinator for the Occupational Therapy Assistant Program at Daytona State College. Dr. Lala came to DSC after serving in the position of Occupational Therapist at Orange City Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in DeBary. Before moving to Florida, Dr. Lala worked in Mumbai, India in acute care and outpatient rehabilitation.
Dr. Lala has experience instructing the following courses:
- OTH 1001 Introduction to Occupational Therapy
- OTH 1014 Skills & Techniques in Occupational Therapy I
- OTH 1114 Analysis of Human Motion
- OTH 1802 Occupational Therapy Practicum
- OTH 2261 Skills & Techniques in Occupational Therapy II
- OTH 2264 Skills & Techniques in Occupational Therapy III
- OTH 2410 Conditions in Occupational Therapy
- OTH 2420 Occupational Therapy for Physical Dysfunction
- OTH 2840 Occupational Therapy Supervised Clinical Practice.
- OTH 2841 Occupational Therapy Supervised Clinical Practice
Dr. Lala also has presented workshops and courses in the field of experiential learning and related pedagogy:
Using standardized patients to train allied health students at Stetson University’s Colloquium on Teaching and Learning Innovation on April 5, 2019.
Practical Strategies for Ethical challenges in Fieldwork at the Centennial American Occupational Therapy Conference on March 31, 2017.
Ethics and Fieldwork education at the Florida Occupational Therapy Association’s Annual Conference on November 6, 2015.
Assistive Technology to prevent musculoskeletal disorders in healthcare professionals and caregivers at the Assistive Technology Industry Association’s Conference in Orlando, FL on January 30, 2014.
Presented at the Florida Occupational Therapy Educational Consortium Fieldwork Educator Certification Workshop at:
- University of Florida, Gainesville April 24, 2020
- University of Florida, Gainesville May 24, 2019
- Wolfson Children’s Hospital March 17, 2017
- Florida State College, Jacksonville August 27, 2016
- Shands Rehab Hospital, Gainesville January 9, 2016
- Florida State College, Jacksonville August 22, 2015
- Florida State College, Jacksonville January 17, 2015
- Daytona State College, Daytona Beach November 8, 2013
- University of Florida, Gainesville February 27, 2010
2021 Dr. John J. Guthrie, Jr. Award for Research and Professional Development by the Faculty Senate at Daytona State College.
2018 Outstanding Young Alumnus Award by the University of Florida, Department of Occupational Therapy for excellence in professional practice and exceptional leadership in the advancement of public health and health professions.
National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy:
Ambassador for the State of Florida, 2021
COTA Exam Item Writer, October 2010- 2019
COTA Item Enhancement Meeting, September 2013-2018
COTA Validation Committee, September 2012, March 2013, July 2013
Standard Setting Meeting, March 2013
American Occupational Therapy Association:
Fieldwork Panel Speaker, National Student Conclave, Jacksonville, November 2013
Volunteer, 90th National Conference & Expo, Orlando, April, 2010
Daytona State College:
Faculty Fellow for Inclusive Excellence April 2020- Current
ACOTE Reaccreditation visit, April 2021
College Connection Committee August 2014-Current
Teaching and Learning Committee January 2014- Current
CarFit Technical Volunteer: August 2009- April 2017
Scholarship Committee, August 2011-August 2012
ACOTE On-site reaccreditation visit, May 2011
Abilities Awareness Day, October, 2009
Women’s Center Resource Fair, September 2009