APPLY NOW! (386) 506-3000  My Daytona State

Things Veterans Should Know

1. Priority Registration

Veterans at Daytona State College are given priority to register for classes starting on the first day of the registration period. This is a valuable benefit that you will want to take advantage of every semester. 

2. New Students

Applying to Veterans Administration: Apply directly with the Veterans Administration, who will verify and approve your GI Bill benefits eligibility. If you are not sure which benefits you qualify for or, if you should use Post 9-11 GI Bill vs. Montgomery GI Bill, visit Once you are ready, fill out the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP). You will have to mail the application signature page from the online application along with a copy of your discharge certificate (DD-214). If you can’t find your DD-214, go to eVetRecs to request a copy from the archives.   The address for the VA Regional office is:

VA Regional Office

P.O. Box 1437
St. Petersburg , FL 33731
Phone: 800-827-1000

Be sure to read the Daytona State Veterans handbook and other important information about your benefits at the Financial aid website.

3. Do you have a Purple Heart or Other Superior Combat Decoration?

If so did you know you can get a fee waiver for your tuition? This applies to both veterans and active duty military personnel.

Senate Bill 122 was signed into law June 20, 2006, effective July 1, 2006. This legislation, which amended Florida Statute 1009.26, took effect at the beginning of the 2006-2007 academic year, and provides a fee waiver to recipients of the Purple Heart or other combat decoration superior in precedence if the recipient is enrolling in a Florida public community college or state university, and provided he or she meets specific criteria:

Admitted as a full-time, part-time, or summer-school student in an undergraduate program of study leading to a degree or certificate;

Is currently, and was at the time of the military action that resulted in the awarding of the Purple Heart or other superior combat decoration, a resident of Florida; and

Submits to the community college or university Department of Defense Form 214 (DD-214), issued at the time of separation from service, as documentation that he or she has received a Purple Heart or other combat decoration superior in precedence.

This waiver is applicable for 110 percent of the number of required credit hours of the degree or certificate program for which the student is enrolled.

The combat decorations that would qualify students for the provisions of this waiver include:
Purple Heart
Bronze Star (must be “V” designation or device)
Distinguished Flying Cross
Legion of Merit (must be “V” designation or device)
Silver Star
Air Force Cross
Navy Cross
Distinguished Service Cross
Medal of Honor

To be considered a “combat decoration superior in precedence to the Purple Heart,” the Bronze Star and the Legion of Merit must include the “V” designation or device.

The following documents can be used to show residency at the time of the military action that resulted in the awarding of the Purple Heart or other superior combat decoration:

DD-214, military separation document
DD Form 2058, military state of legal residence certificate
Leave and Earning Statement (LES) or the Defense Finance and Accounting Service 
(DFAS) Form 702, which specifies place of residence
Letter or affidavit from the military administrative office verifying residence at the time of combat
One or more state or federal documents evidencing legal ties to Florida (e.g., homestead exemption, driver’s license, vehicle registration)

The following can be used as evidence to show receipt of the Purple Heart or other combat decoration superior in precedence: A DD-214 documenting the appropriate combat decoration should be the standard eligibility verification document.

If financial aid application deadlines preclude providing a DD-214 in time to meet such a deadline, the official (service specific) transmitting correspondence that would normally accompany such an award to a previously discharged service member would suffice until an updated DD-214 could be obtained and presented to the postsecondary institution by the start of the student’s next term of enrollment for continued eligibility for the waiver.

If you are on active duty and have not been issued a DD-214, the official (service specific) transmitting correspondence that would normally accompany such an award or certification of the appropriate combat award by the service specific administrative record holder [e.g., Adjutant, G-1 (general staff officer – personnel), or JAG (Judge Advocate General)] would meet the documentation requirement


4. Getting Credit for Military Experience

We will work with you to get the most credits possible for your military service experience.

Each service produces a transcript listing academic equivalency for military training and experience based on guidelines established by the American Council on Education (ACE). Submit those transcripts to the Admissions or Records office and we will review them for credit. You will be able to see the courses you received credit for in your FalconNet account. Just click on the Records link and then click on “Transfer Evaluation”.

5. Student Financial Aid

Did you know you may still be eligible to receive Federal Financial aid even if you are receiving Veterans Educational benefits. The first step to determining eligibility is to file your “Free Application for Federal Student Aid” (FAFSA).   You can find more information about applying for Federal Financial Aid by visiting the financial aid website at:

6. What do you do if you are in the Reserves or National Guard and get Called to Active Duty or you are an Active Duty Military Member and you get Deployed?

Veterans called to active duty during a semester in which they are currently enrolled and in which the refund period has ended may apply for an administrative drop appeal. This form may be accessed either-   or In the Registration Office at any DSC campus

Complete the form making sure to include an explanation of why you are requesting a refund after the refund period has passed.

Attach a copy of your call to active duty orders to the appeal. You may either- Submit the documents to the Registration Office of any DSC campus (Daytona Campus Question & Answer Center, Bldg. 100-Room 119) OR  Fax the documents to the Question & Answer Center @ 386-506-3136. Please include your phone number and FalconMail address for communication purposes.

You may call the Q&A Center @ 386-506-3136 for questions about filing the appeal. You will receive an email through your FalconMail account when a decision has been made. If your appeal is approved your account will automatically be update to reflect the tuition change.

Daytona State College Facebook Daytona State College Twitter Daytona State College Youtube Daytona State College Linkedin Daytona State College Instagram

Daytona State College 1200 W. International Speedway Blvd., Daytona Beach, Florida 32114 (386) 506-3000

Daytona State College is an equal opportunity institution.

If you are having any difficulty accessing our website, please contact the help desk at (386) 506-3950 or

Last updated: 2019-06-12T20:59:23.008Z