English Language Institute
The English Language Institute is Daytona State College’s academic English language program, which offers an English for Academic Purposes college credit sequence and continuing education Intensive English Program.
English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
- Courses count as elective credit hours
EAP Course descriptions for High Intermediate 1500 levels & Advanced 1600 levels Academic Speaking & Listening. Students develop speaking & listening skills to participate in class discussions and make academic presentations at level.
Writing & Grammar. Students develop writing & grammar skills needed to write academic essays and other academic writing assignments at level
Academic Reading. Students develop vocabulary and reading comprehension skills with academically appropriate texts and readings according to level.
High Intermediate 1500
- EAP1500 Speaking & Listening (3 credit hours)
- EAP1520 Academic Reading (3 credit hours)
- EAP1585 Academic Writing & Grammar (6 credit hours)
- EAP1600 Speaking & Listening (3 credit hours)
- EAP1620 Academic Reading (3 credit hours)
- EAP1685 Academic Writing & Grammar (6 credit hours)
Intensive English Program (IEP)
- For non-native speakers who want to strengthen their English language skills for personal enrichment or academic preparation
- Semester-length non-credit courses
- Intensive and immersive 20 hours per week (no part-time option is offered in this program)
Cost: $3,000 per semester
Each Intensive English class is 5 hours a week
- IEP400 Communication
- IEP420 Grammar
- IEP440 Writing
- IEP460 Reading
Degree seeking students must have one of the following:
- 5.5 IELTS score or 61 TOEFL IBT score, or complete EAP Level 1600 courses.
- To receive I-20 for admission to EAP a base TOEFL IBT score of 50 or IELTS 5.0 is required.
- To receive an I-20 for admission to the IEP program a base TOEFL score of 36 or IELTS 4.5 is required.
- All students must take the Accuplacer for specific placement into the appropriate level: 100+ score places in 1600, 85-99 score places in 1500 (OR) 70-84 IEP 0400 level.
- Ask about arranging to take the Accuplacer in your home country to guarantee space if needed.
- Students for this program must have resident status or obtain a student Visa.