APPLY NOW! (386) 506-3000  My Daytona State

COVID-19 - Student FAQs

Daytona State College is closely monitoring the rapidly changing situation concerning the coronavirus (COVID-19). We know our students have questions about how the virus will impact the College and their academic plans. Following are frequently asked questions for students of Daytona State College. We will continue to monitor the situation and update the FAQ on a regular basis as needed.


Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act

Daytona State College is pleased to announce we have signed and returned the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act agreement to participate in providing Emergency Financial Grants to students. We will be disbursing up to $3,840,866 for students who have expenses related to the disruption due to the coronavirus.

As of # of Students Total Amount Disbursed
5/22/2020 378 $654,290.00

 Daytona State College sent out approximately 5,966 emails to students who are eligible to participate in programs under Section 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and invited them to apply for the emergency CARES Act funding.To be eligible to apply for emergency CARES Act funding students must meet the following, including, but not limited to:

  • Be enrolled for Summer 2020
  • Be enrolled in a financial aid eligible program
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Be meeting satisfactory academic progress
  • Not be in default on a federal grant or loan
  • Provide supporting documentation showing how the closure or transition increased expenses.

Students can apply for up to $2,000 and will be notified via their Falcon Mail the status of their request. Any questions should be addressed to

Am I eligible to apply for the emergency CARES Act funding?

To be eligible to apply for the CARES Act funding you must be financial aid eligible, which includes:

  • File the 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • Be a U.S. Citizen or Eligible Non-Citizen
  • If a male over 18, must be registered with the Selective Service
  • Enrolled in a financial aid eligible program
  • Not be enrolled in an exclusively online program:

Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
Bachelor of Engineering Technology 

  • Must be meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Must not be in default on federal student loans
  • Must not owe an overpayment on federal grants or loans
  • Must be enrolled and attending classes Summer 2020
Will Daytona State College require documentation?
Yes. Daytona State College will request you submit documentation showing you have been impacted by COVID-19. For example, if your hours were reduced, we would ask you provide a paystub showing hours were reduced.
I am a transient student from another institution, am I eligible to apply for the emergency CARES Act funding at Daytona State College?
No. You must be enrolled in DSC as a regular degree seeking students. Transient students should contact their home institution for eligibility.
How much can I request?
Students can request up to $2,000 per semester. However, please keep in mind there is a maximum of $6,000 per student, or until funds run out.
How often can I request emergency CARES Act funds?
Students are eligible to request funds once per semester until Spring 2021. However, funding is limited and when funds run out, students will no longer be eligible to apply.
Are emergency CARES Act funds part of my financial aid notification?
No. Emergency CARES Act funds are stand-alone funds. Although you may see them on the financial aid screen, they do not go against your Cost of Attendance and are not part of your financial aid package.
How long does the process take for the emergency CARES Act funding?
Once the application is submitted, the application will be reviewed within 3 to 5 business days. If approved, students could see funds within five to seven business days depending on how they are set up with Bank Mobile.
How will I be notified of the status of my application?
Students will be notified via their Daytona State College email address.
If I withdraw from all of my classes after receiving emergency CARES Act funds, am I eligible to apply for assistance again?
Emergency CARES Act funds are for enrolled and attending students, if you withdraw from your courses, you will not be considered an eligible student and cannot apply for additional funds.
Can emergency CARES Act funds help pay my previous balance or current tuition and fees?
The emergency CARES Act funds cannot be used to pay previous balances or current tuition and fees. These funds are supposed to assist with expenses unrelated to education that you may need assistance with while pursuing your degree.

General Updates

When can I return to class or campus?

Based on the latest updates from state and national officials, students are not to come to any Daytona State College campus until further notice. This is part of the larger effort to limit personal contact per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/CDC and the President’s Guidelines. Students can conduct college business through other means, including phone, email or via live chat.

Has the commencement and award convocation been cancelled?

At this time, the graduation and awards ceremonies have been cancelled and we are exploring options for the future. The College will notify students of any further plans.

This was not an easy decision, and we recognize the importance of celebrating your success. We admire your dedication to your studies and hope to put something in place to honor your accomplishments.

What do I need to do if I recently traveled to an international destination or went on a cruise?

Based on the most recent guidance from the Florida College System chancellor, anyone returning from any international destination or cruise must self-isolate for 14 days upon return. Do not come to any DSC campus. Please email your instructor for further guidance regarding your classes.

What should I do if I have symptoms of COVID-19?

If you experience symptoms, isolate yourself, do not come to class or campus, and seek medical attention by calling a medical professional. Inform medical professionals of your symptoms and any recent travel or potential exposure before going to the health facility.

As with all contagious illnesses, limit the potential for exposure to other people and do not come to campus or class. Take the following actions:

  • Notify your instructor(s) via email that you are ill. You can find contact information on the course syllabus or through the DSC website directory.
  • Isolate yourself to keep from potentially exposing other people, including members of your own household.
  • Seek medical advice from a medical professional by calling ahead before visiting a health facility. 
What preventative measures should I take?

The CDC recommends the following:

  • Wash hands often with soap and water, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.

Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.

  • Cover your cough or sneeze.
  • Avoid contact with those who are sick and avoid others if you are sick.
  • Regularly clean and disinfect frequently touched objects.
  • Avoid grasping shared surfaces such as door handles, gas pumps, grocery carts, elevator buttons, etc. with your hands. Use your knuckles or hips or a paper towel or disposable glove.
  • Avoid shaking hands.
  • If you’re feeling sick, stay home. Do not risk your health or the wellbeing of others by trying to “tough it out.” 
What if I need access to healthcare but don’t have insurance?
The quickest way to get help is to utilize the resources at Heart of Florida United Way by dialing 211. They can connect you to resources in your local area.

Student Support

Personal Counseling Services for Students


Daytona State is offering personal counseling services to currently enrolled students during the COVID-19 emergency. DSC Counseling and Accessibility Services staff members will be answering voicemails and emails within 24–48 business hours of receipt.

 Please note, this is a personal counseling service. It is not designed for general or academic inquiries. If you have general or academic inquiries, please call the College’s main number at (386) 506-3000, or refer to our website.

*If this is an actual emergency please call 911.

To contact a counselor via voicemail please call (386) 506-3038.

Specific counselors may also be reached at the following email addresses:

If you are in need of immediate assistance, here are some helpful resources.

The National Alliance on Mental Illness

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

Additional resources can be found at:

How can I get registration assistance without coming to campus? 

We encourage you to contact Registration via chat (located in the upper right side of this page), or call 386-506-3136 or As always, our Enrollment Specialists can support you by answering questions about college operations, registration, admission, graduation and other important topics.

I have questions about my courses, how do I connect with an advisor?

You can connect with an advisor by emailing us at, via chat, or calling 386-506-3661. Dual enrolled students can email

How do I register if I’m a dual enrolled student?

If you are an existing dual enrolled student you can email your school counselor to obtain the dual enrollment form, and once complete and signed it can be emailed to An academic advisor will assist you with registration via email. At this time the assessment office is closed to students, so we are unable to offer PERT testing for new dual enrollment students. We are exploring our options and hope to have a plan in place soon.

Volusia County Students in need of books

Students must register for a time and day using this link:  Please note that you will need to bring any dual enrollment textbooks you have checked out when picking up your summer books.  Please reach out to Christine Cyrier at with any questions regarding your DSC books.

  • May 6, 2020, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm at 3750 Olson Drive, Daytona Beach, Florida 32124
  • May 7, 2020, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm at 200 N. Clara Avenue, DeLand, Florida 32720


Flagler County Students in need of books: Please email your school counselor for details on book pickup..

Homeschool students in need of books

Book vouchers for Summer courses will be emailed on May 6, and will be available to use from May 7-22 by emailing or faxing to the bookstore along with your address, books will be shipped to you at no cost. Please email or fax forms to:,,, or fax to 386-518-1492.

What if I need to take a test?

Testing is not available until further notice, but we are continuing to evaluate the needs and are working on a plan to offer assessments in the near future.

Can I come to campus to use resources such as computer labs?

At this time, all DSC campuses are closed to students. 

How do I get my books since the bookstore is closed?

You can view and order your books on the bookstore’s website, and they will be shipped to you at no cost.

Are there any impacts to summer courses?

So that you can continue to make progress, all college credit classes (non-vocational) for the Summer Term (includes Summer 10-week and Summer A & B) will be completely online. Classes are scheduled to begin Wednesday, May 13. The ability to offer face-to-face and hybrid courses for the summer will be continually evaluated.

This extension of remote instruction is meant to further reduce the introduction and spread of COVID-19, following guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. If the situation changes, we will add face-to-face and hybrid courses.

A decision about vocational programs will be made at a later date, and we will send you email updates as well as continue to post updates to this page.

What if I need new disability accommodations for online courses?

Students requesting disability accommodations should contact the Counseling & Accessibility Office by phone or email to discuss new requests or changes to existing accommodations. CAS staff will work with students and faculty to determine reasonable accommodations.

Volusia County Mortgage/Rent Assistance

Spring 2020 Grade Options for Students (W19)

Spring 2020 Grade Options W19

Students now have the option to unenroll from a Spring 2020 full term or Spring 2020 B term course and retake it face-to-face in the Fall 2020 term at no cost. 

  • Will not affect your Spring 2020 GPA.
  • Will not count as an attempt or affect Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
  • Ideal option if you’re unable to complete the course at this time and would like to retry the course.
  • The opportunity to retake this course at no additional cost is only for registration in Fall 2020 and Spring 2021.
  • Must request this option by April 20, 2020.


To submit a grade option appeal, students must:

  1. Complete an online Late Withdrawal Form by April 20, 2020
  2. Select the "COVID-19 Exception (W19)" option from the dropdown menu in Question 1.
  3. Attach a personal statement clearly explaining the circumstances surrounding the situation or incident. 
  4. Enter the Course Subject (Ex: MAT 1033), Class Number (Ex: 1234), Semester and Year (Ex: Spring 2020), and Subsession (Ex: B)
  5. Click "Next" and sign electronically on the next page.
  6. After you’ve signed and submitted the form, you’ll be notified via your student email your appeal status on or before May 1, 2020. 

Will I have to pay for my retake if I request a W19?

No, you will not need to pay to retake your course. The tuition and fees you paid for the spring 2020 term will cover the cost of you retaking the course in the fall 2020 or spring 2021 term. However, the W19 tuition fee waiver does not apply to books and supplies.

Will the W19 affect my financial aid?

For many students, W19 may not affect your financial aid. However, as with any Federal Financial Aid Program, it is highly recommended that you contact the Financial Aid Services Office for further information regarding your specific scenario. They can be reached at (386) 506-3015 or by emailing

Will the W19 affect my GPA?

This option will not affect your spring 2020 GPA. However, the letter grade you earn when the course is retaken count towards your GPA.

How will a W19 affect my ability to transfer to a different institution? 

If you are completing your Associate in Arts (AA) through the DirectConnect to UCF program, the retake grade will not affect you. In other cases, the institution that you are transferring to may convert the W19 on your transcript to a withdraw (W) grade.

Will the W19 be available for future terms?

No, this is only for face to face courses taken during the Spring 2020 Full term or Spring 2020 B session. Retakes must be taken during Fall 2020 or Spring 2021.

Can I change my mind once I choose the W19?

If the term in which you are retaking the course has not begun, you may choose to cancel the W19 prior to the first day.

What if I decide to withdraw from my approved W19 retake?

If you withdraw from your retake, it would be subject to our standard withdraw policies and could affect your financial aid.

If I do not retake my course in Fall 2020 or Spring 2021, what happens next?

If you do not retake your course in the approved terms, your initial attempt from Spring 2020 will count as an attempt and you will be responsible for any tuition fees associated with withdrawing.

If I am submitting a W19 for multiple classes, do I have to retake them all in the same semester?

No, you can spread them however you’d prefer for the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 terms.

I am studying here on an F-1 or M-1 Visa, am I eligible for this?

Students attending DSC on an F-1 or M-1 have requirements to maintain their status.  International students should consult with a Designated School Official (DSO) in the Admissions Office to see if they are eligible for this program before applying. Email for help determining your eligibility.


My class is already in an online format. Will my online class be canceled the week of Monday, March 16?

No; if your class is already an online course, you should continue to complete coursework and assessments based on your syllabi. These changes have no impact on courses that were already online. If you have questions, please contact your instructor.

My class requires face-to-face meetings. Will my course be canceled?

If you are in face-to-face or hybrid course, information about your course will be available by Monday March 23. Right now, faculty are working on creating this content, so please be patient if you do not see anything in your FalconOnline course shell.

What happens if my class has a lab?

Information about your course will be available by Monday March 23. Right now, faculty are working on creating this content, so please be patient if you do not see anything in your FalconOnline course shell.

What happens if I’m in a program like Nursing, Welding or Law Enforcement that requires hands-on work?

Information about your course will be available by Monday March 23. Right now, faculty are working on creating this content, so please be patient if you do not see anything in your FalconOnline course shell.

How do I access an online class?

When you’re at the college’s website, click on the Falcon Online button towards the bottom left of the homepage. This will take you to your online class shells. 

You'll log into Falcon Online, with the same username and password as Falcon Mail. If you don't remember what that is, try reseting your password or contact the Help Desk ( 

I’ve never had an online course – how do I find my coursework?

To get acclimated, please click through the Falcon Online InfoGuide, and watch this initial video (4:47 min) on getting started.

Once you’ve clicked on a class shell, you may see an announcement from your instructor, contact information, and other course details. To navigate the course, click on the blue navigation bar at the top. There you’ll find Content (course materials/files), Assignments (where you’ll submit your work), Discussions, Classlist, Quizzes, Grades, and more.

Are there support resources for online students?

YES! Check out this full list of all the support available for students in online courses.

I need help with FalconOnline. Can I get help with FalconOnline?

Check out this helpful InfoGuide. The FalconAid student helpdesk is available to assist.

What should I do if I don’t have access to the technology to complete coursework online?

We recognize that not all students will be comfortable continuing their studies in an online or alternative format. If you are unable to complete coursework online, please communicate with your instructor. We will do our best to support your individual needs, and evaluate your options for an Incomplete grade for the term to continue at a later date.

Can I come to campus to use a computer labs?

At this time, all DSC campuses are closed to students. 


Financial Aid and Student Employment

How can I get my questions answered?

Financial aid is available via email and phone – 386-506-3015. You can also check these frequently asked questions.

Will Financial Aid disbursements be affected by the additional time off?

No. Spring B financial aid disbursements begin April 8 with refunds starting to be processed on April 10. If you are a first-time loan borrower, your Direct Loan funds will be disbursed to your student account beginning April 15 with refunds starting to be processed on April 15.

What will happen to my financial aid if I withdraw, or drop, from my courses due not being comfortable with the online format?

There are three scenarios:

  • Full term course students: Students receiving financial aid who are enrolled in Full term courses and decide to withdraw from all courses will be subject to the return of Title IV calculation rules. These rules determine the amount of financial aid you earned based on when the student last attended courses.
  • Student had Spring A course and drop Spring B: Students who attended all of their Spring A courses and decided to drop their Spring B courses will have their aid adjusted to reflect attendance in only those Spring A courses.
  • Spring B only students: Students who are only enrolled for Spring B should drop their Spring B courses by the add/drop date of March 24. This will allow us to remove your Spring B financial aid.

Will withdrawing from my Spring courses negatively impact my eligibility to receive financial aid in future terms?

Yes, withdrawing can negatively impact your future eligibility. Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) by meeting these components throughout their academic career:

  • Maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA
  • Successfully complete 67% of the course work attempted
  • Be within 150% of the maximum timeframe to complete the degree

If you do not meet one, or more, of the above-mentioned criteria you will be able to appeal your SAP status. Circumstances related to an outbreak of COVID-19 may form the basis of your appeal, however you will need to be able to document it.

I’m a work study – can I continue working?

Yes, you may continue working, however, please check with your supervisor first. Your supervisor may assign you different tasks which do not require coming to campus.  

If my classes move online, will my GI Bill benefits be impacted?

For the remainder of this semester, your GI Bill benefits will not be impacted by the move to online instruction. However, if we continue to have to offer courses online for subsequent semesters, you may not be eligible for some benefits, such as a full housing allowance.

Daytona State College Facebook Daytona State College Twitter Daytona State College Youtube Daytona State College Linkedin Daytona State College Instagram

Daytona State College 1200 W. International Speedway Blvd., Daytona Beach, Florida 32114 (386) 506-3000

Daytona State College is an equal opportunity institution.

If you are having any difficulty accessing our website, please contact the help desk at (386) 506-3950 or

Last updated: 2020-05-22T14:19:43.568Z