Daytona State to host FREE summer camps for teens, June 15-25
Topics: designing a home on wheels, music production, solar power, 3D modeling, interior design, public safety
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (May 5, 2015) – Presenting a fun educational experience, Daytona State College invites local teens to sign up for a series of free, eight-day summer camps for Flagler County and Volusia County students in grades 9, 10 and 11. All camps will be held June 15-25, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. A total of 120 students (20 students per camp) will have the opportunity to participate in two of the following camps.
• Music Production Technology: Learn about the music recording process and participate in the development of a CD, including pre-production and master recording sessions with the band, recording equipment set-up and performance! Instruction will take place in the studios of the DSC's Music Production Technology program at the News-Journal Center, 221 N. Beach St, Daytona Beach. Each student will receive a CD of the session in which they participated.
• Be an Engineer: Design and assemble objects that will utilize solar power! You will assemble analog and digital electronic circuits, and use simple machines to build articulated structures. The camp features a hands-on learning environment utilizing state-of-the-art technology; held at the Advanced Technology College, 1770 Technology Blvd., Daytona Beach.
• 3D Modeling: Explore your creativity through drafting and design in this hands-on, fun-filled camp! Learn the methods and techniques of design through various goal-oriented activities, then apply those lessons using 3-D modeling software to create and interact with a 3-D model "car" born from your imagination in virtual space. Students will then create a model using a 3-D printer to see their idea grow into a tangible real-life object; held at the Advanced Technology College, 1770 Technology Blvd., Daytona Beach.
• Architecture: Explore your creative side by designing your own personal house on wheels! You will use the standard school bus blueprint and its basic shell as the model for a truly custom "mobile" home. The transformation will begin as you learn how to draw using an architectural scale and put ideas on paper for the best summer pad on wheels. For advanced campers, there will be the opportunity to use AutoCAD drafting software to print the bus layout. Finally, you will learn how to build an architectural scaled model of your original design to take home, wheels and all; held at the Advanced Technology College, 1770 Technology Blvd., Daytona Beach.
• Interior Design: Explore your creativity as you design your own college dorm room! You will start with creating a furniture layout using AutoCAD software. Next, you will begin decorating your private bedroom and bathroom, making selections from the resource library that express your personal style. Learn the elements and principles of design to help carry your concepts through to the communal living room and kitchen. At the end of camp, you will explore how to assemble the printed floor plan of your furniture choices onto a presentation board to take home; held at the Advanced Technology College, 1770 Technology Blvd., Daytona Beach.
• Public Safety: Learn how public safety professionals react in emergency situations! You will get a glimpse of what happens behind the scenes in the day of a police officer, corrections professional, and fire and emergency medical services personnel. (Additional information: To participate in this camp, students cannot wear open-toed shoes - long pants must be worn for leg protection and expect to get wet on fire days); held at the Advanced Technology College, 1770 Technology Blvd., Daytona Beach.
Eligible Flagler County and Volusia County high school students must be in grades 9, 10 or 11, in a standard diploma track and have a teacher recommendation. Limited bus transportation will be provided from Daytona State College campuses to the camp locations. As lunch will not be provided, participants should bring their own lunch.
Students can pick up applications from their school guidance department or their career and technical teacher. They must be submitted by Friday, May 22, to: Cindy Bunton, Daytona State College, 1200 W. International Speedway Blvd., Academic Support Center, Room 103, Daytona Beach, FL 32114.
For more information about the free summer camps, contact Bunton, buntonv@DaytonaState.edu or call (386) 506-3459.
Summer Swim Lesson June 2015
Summer Photography Camp
JUNE 8 – 25, 2015
Each weekly session runs Monday – Thursday, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
SESSION 1: JUNE 8 – JUNE 11
SESSION 2: JUNE 15 – JUNE 18
SESSION 3: JUNE 22 – JUNE 25
These creative and fast-paced camps are designed to introduce the principles of photography and are structured for students ages 8-11 and 12-15. Learn the mechanics of digital manipulation, plus lighting, shooting and editing techniques all at a variety of levels. No previous experience is necessary as campers receive hands-on instruction and inspiration. Structured as one-week sessions that follow a particular theme, participants have the option of registering for one, two, or all three weekly sessions.
COST: $185.00 per child, per session.
Early-Bird Discount: $165.00 (register before April 30, 2015).
Click HERE to download Summer Camp Brocure & Registration forms.
Please complete and print-out your registration forms and bring them back to the museum reception desk during regular museum hours of operation.
Questions? Download our Summer Camp FAQ HERE or contact Christina Katsolis in our Education Department via E-mail or at 386-506-4569.
Basketball Camp - Ages 6-14
Open to boys and girls!
July 13 - 17th 9 a.m. - Noon at Daytona State College $75/week
July 20 - 24th 9 a.m. - Noon at Port Orange Rec. $75/week
Women’s SoftballJUNE 2015
6/22 – 6/24 ~ Monday to Wednesday2015 Little Falcon Summer Academy
Location: Falcon Softball Complex-Daytona, FL | Ages: 7-12 ... will be divided into groups by age!
Cost: $ 150.00 | View Details | Register Now ››
8/10 – 8/12 ~ Monday to Wednesday
Elite Falcon All Skills Summer Academy
Location: Falcon Softball Complex-Daytona, FL | Ages: 13 - High School Seniors
Cost: $ 200.00 | View Details | Register Now ››
Download the flier for more information
Cybersecurity Summer Camp
July 13 - 16
8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Advanced Technology College
1770 Technology Blvd., Daytona Beach
Daytona State College's free Cybersecurity camp will offer students entering grades 9-12 a virtual world of fun and interactive challenges. The camp will focus on teaching beginner and intermediate computer security techniques and preparation for cyber competition. Learn about digital forensics, browser security, malware handling, virtualization and much more. A limited number of students will be selected to participate in the camp, which Daytona State is conducting in conjunction with the Advanced Cyberforensics Education Consortium and the Florida Cyber Alliance.
Other camp topics include:
- Data Protection
- Event Log Auditing
- Linux Security
- Remote Access
- Research Techniques
- System Security Policies
- Technology Law
- Windows Client Security
- Windows Server Roles
Interested in becoming a volunteer/mentor for our Cyber Camp and cyber competitions during the upcoming school year? Contact us today!
Applications and general questions can be directed to:
Emily Coppa, Coordinator
Advanced Cyberforensics Education Consortium (ACE)
Advanced Technology College – Daytona State College
1770 Technology Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32117
P: (386) 506-4163
F: (386) 506-4191