A student mentor is required to supervise the student while working on his or her research project. A mentor must be a faculty member of an accredited college or high school. Your supervision will include assisting the student in conducting research and/or creating a research proposal, creating the oral presentation or poster and ensuring that the student properly registers for and attends the ShORE 2018 event.
As a mentor, you should:
- Remember, this is the first research experience for many of these students; your positive encouragement is greatly appreciated!
- Accept only a student to mentor if you can spend significant time with them.
- Meet regularly, at least once every 2 weeks to monitor their progress.
- Assign readings to help increase their knowledge of the subject.
- Encourage students to self-manage their projects.
- Encourage students to see the connections of their work as viable research endeavors to advance the community’s knowledge of the Indian River Lagoon and its drainage basin.
- Be supportive and provide validation for the hard work your student is expending. Unsolicited assurance can help instill confidence.
The all-day event is free, but registration is required. Online registration ends November 28, 2018. ShORE 2018 is asking for your support to reduce our carbon footprint.