Daytona State College employees and students were recognized on Thursday, April 2, for their response to emergency incidents as part of the Campus Safety Department’s annual Wall of Fame program.
The event was just part of the college’s annual Campus Safety Awareness Day activities, which also included information by participating vendors, law enforcement displays and safety-related demonstrations. The event was co-hosted by DSC’s Student Government Association.
“We all have a duty to be alert and engaged in public safety on our campuses, to contribute to the quality of our safe workplace,” said DSC President Tom LoBasso. “To that point, we honor our Wall of Fame heroes each year, not only for their actions, but for their awareness; because they saw and said and did something, and made a difference in the lives of others.”
This year’s Wall of Fame honorees are:
- HVAC technician Edwin Acvedo and Jon Black, groundskeeper
- Student Stephanie Howard and Tim Drexel, custodian
- IT systems administrator Eric Bouse
- Groundskeeper Harry Jimenez and Campus Safety Officer Rosendo Torres
- Administrative specialists Gail Freiwald and Janet Bennett, and DBPD Officer Steve Jessmer
- Campus Safety officers Mike Jarvis and Derick Adams
- Student Ryan Gray
Volleyball Coach Laura Stegall and all DSC student-athletes were recognized for their community service, as was Associate Vice President Susan Pate for her longtime work as chair of the college’s Student Disciplinary Committee.
(April 2, 2015)