1. Complete the College admissions process and take the Post-Secondary Education Test (PERT) if needed.
2. Obtain the School of Health Careers Department application, which is available in Bldg. 320 rooms 549 or 552 or the Department will either mail/email you the information packet.
3. Complete applications are accepted during the month of September only for the class that will begin in the Spring semester in January. Please be advised that submitting an application does not guarantee program acceptance.
4. Attach to the application an unofficial copy of your transcript and documentation of the completed 20 observation hours, submit these forms to Melissa Brown, Academic Advisor Building 320 room 549 on the Daytona campus. The completed application may also be mailed to Daytona State College, Attn: Melissa Brown, P. O. Box 2811, Daytona Beach, FL 32120, Health Sciences Hall, Building 320 Room 549.
5. Selection is made once per year; application submission does not guarantee program acceptance. Applicants will be notified by mail as to their acceptance or denial. Applicants that are selected must return the written response by the indicated deadline or will forfeit their seat.
PTA Selection Criteria
The PTA program is a selective admissions program. Students will be selected according to the following criteria:
Completed School of Health Careers packet to include:
a. Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher needed to apply to the program.
b. School of Health Careers Department application (accepted during the month of September only). Applicants must have attended PTA Program information session.
c. Documentation of a minimum twenty (20) hours of physical therapy volunteer observation or clinical health care work experience. The twenty hours need to be distributed as evenly as possible among at least two different types of health care facilities; hospital, nursing home, or out-patient. If the applicant is re-applying a minimum of 5 hours need to be current (within 6 to 9 months) of applying to the program. *Some facilities may require a background check.
d. Completion of pre-requisite and co-requisite courses with a grade of “C” or better. Unofficial transcripts can be submitted to the School of Health Careers Department, however, if courses are being transferred from another school, official transcripts must also have been received and evaluated by the College’s Records Department, by September 30 of the year the application is being submitted.
e. Applicants being considered for the program will be contacted for an onsite interview with the program selection committee. Please be advised that not all applicants will be contacted for an interview.
***Applicants that are not accepted to the PTA Program will be required to submit a new application and all documentation for future program consideration.
Successful completion of ALL the required PTA Program pre and co-requisite courses with a Cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher and 20 observation hours in at least two different areas; hospital, nursing home, or out-patient. An interview with program selection committee, which will be rated.
Successful completion of ALL the required PTA Program pre and co-requisite courses with a Cumulative GPA of 2.99 - 2.50 and 20 observation hours in at least two different areas; hospital, nursing home, or out-patient. An interview with program selection committee.
Students with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 and have not successfully completed all pre and/or co-requisite courses and completion of the 20 observation hours. An interview with program selection committee.
**Applicants do not receive credit for courses “In Process” at the time of application submission
**Not all applicants will be granted an interview.
**Application submission does not guarantee program acceptance