- Roberto S. Lombardo
Associate Vice President
Location: Building 300, Room 125B
Issue/Opportunity – The E-Text Committee has been informally investigating and evaluating various E-Text reader devices to include single function E-Readers, multi-function E-Readers, notebooks, laptops, netbooks, tablets, slates, dual netbooks, I-Pad, and dual e-reader/netbook devices from many manufacturers and sources. The general conclusion is that the College E-Text system should be adaptable to a multitude of devices (though maybe not full-functioning on all) and should provide student with multiple options to access their E-Text. The H/D Sub-Committee should identify a device of choice, taking advantage of functionality and cost. In addition, the H/D Sub-Committee may identify a secondary device of less function and much less cost to meet the needs of those students with limited financial resources.
The H/D Sub-Committee should coordinate with the Deployment Sub-Committee and E-Text Reader Platform Sub-Committee on issues that may be jointly affected.
Topic and Potential Actions – Investigate, evaluate and recommend a device of choice and possibly a device of least cost to include:
- Operating system
- Screen(s) type (e-ink, e-paper, touch, color, etc.)
- Wi-Fi and/or 3G – On our network or 3rd party
- E-Reader software included?
- Other functionality included
- Battery life – 8 hours+
- Device help desk issues – hours, services, etc.
- ADA capable/adaptable – what capabilities.
- Ease of use and intuitiveness – student orientation to device usage should be simple, direct, consistent and tested.
- Re-placement – timeframe and process to replace if lost, damaged or hardware failure.
- Ease of operating system / software updates
- Cost – goal to reduce cost to absolute minimum.
- College Logo imprinted – on outside covers and “start-up” screen
- Durability – case hardened?
Necessity for formal RFP, RFI or Bid – The H/D Sub-Committee must determine if it recommends that the College seek formal responses (RFP, RFI, Bid, etc.) from the providers of these devices.
Implementation Timing and Critical Path – Other Issue/Opportunity that need to be resolved prior to or in conjunction with: Deployment issues, E-Reader Platform issues, and Connectivity issues, subsequent to Publisher issues.
Status – The Hardware / Device research has been significantly investigated, though discussions with vendors should be expanded. Once completed, a formal RFP or RFI may be needed to insure best cost and confirm functionality.
Back to Committees Page