Teachers holding a three-year temporary certificate can enroll in specific bachelor's level courses approved by the Florida Department of Education towards earning a five-year Florida Professional Educator's Certificate. In addition, teachers looking to renew a current Florida Professional Educator's Certificate can enroll in qualifying courses, including a one-credit bachelor's level Students with Disabilities course.
Here are the courses you MAY need for alternative certification:
- EDF4603 – (3 credits) - Critical Issues in Classroom Management, Ethics, Law, and Safety
- Classroom Management with a focus on...
- EDF3214 – (3 credits) - Child/Adolescent Development and Learning OR
EDP2002 – (3 credits) – Educational Psychology
- Child and Adolescent Development...
- EDF4430 – (3 credits) - Classroom Assessment
- Educational Assessment...
- EDG4323 – (3 credits) - Professional Teaching Practices
- Effective Instructional Technique, Strategies...
- RED3012 – (3 credits) - Principles of Reading
- Applications of Research-Based Instructional Practices in Reading
- TSL3080 – (3 credits) - ESOL Issues and Strategies I
- Instructional strategies for teaching students of limited English
To apply for Alternative Certification courses please do the following:
- Apply to Daytona State College - major Special Credit - Teacher Cert for non-degree seeking student
- Send your Statement of Status of Eligibility to Dr. Ana Blaine in the School of Education Ana.Blaine@daytonastate.edu
- Have your Human Resources department send an employment verification letter to Admissions
OR if you are not currently teaching…
Complete the Volusia County Schools Volunteer clearance:
The following links will take you directly to the Online Volunteer Application site:
English Application URL:https://apps.raptorware.com/vsoft/kiosk/volunteerregistration?clientId=c556628d-1b14-4ef1-99a0-6fc318d172b1
Spanish Application URL:https://apps.raptorware.com/vsoft/kiosk/volunteerregistration?clientId=c556628d-1b14-4ef1-99a0-6fc318d172b1&lang=esp
The above links can also be found on the Volunteer/Partnership Program's website at:
School volunteers/college students must complete the volunteer application by visiting the district website (access it through any computer or other electronic devices) or to complete an application at the Raptor Kiosk (if available at the school site). Just click on the URL of your choice and complete the application. Once submitted, the online application will be re-directed to the VIPS Department for approval.
The application will stay on a "hold" queue until the volunteer applicant has visited the school of choice (or see Ashorda Foley at Atlantic High School in portable 2) and has an ID scanned into the visitor module. Provided that the applicant clears the sexual predator/offender database performed by the Raptor System, then, the application will be approved and an email will be generated by the system that will inform the applicant of their volunteer status.
In addition, you can contact the Admissions Advisor of the Day. The AOD can be reached by calling (386) 506-3642.
- Contact FLDOE and verify that the selected courses will satisfy your certification requirements
To apply for Certification RENEWAL courses please do the following:
- Apply to Daytona State College - major Special Credit – Test Exempt for non-degree seeking student
- Contact FLDOE and verify that the courses selected will satisfy your renewal requirements
Students with Disability Renewal Requirement
- EEX4034 Introduction of ESE to Inclusion Teachers (1 credit course for Renewal Requirement)
- This course is provided fully online and can be completed in 7 to 8 weeks. This course uses modules so that students can proceed at their own pace.
For questions regarding certification please contact Dr. Ana Blaine in the School of Education at (386) 506-4374.