Rights of Victims of Sexual Assault and Sexual Misconduct
Victims of a sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking have certain rights that will be honored by Daytona State College. Note that filing a report is not the same as prosecuting.
Upon filing a report of sexual assault with Campus Safety:
- Campus Safety personnel will ensure that your immediate medical needs are addressed by contacting the appropriate emergency services.
- Campus Safety personnel will you of your options for contacting law enforcement. If you request,Campus Safety personnel will contact law enforcement on your behalf and provide all available information to them.
- Preservation of the crime scene will be maintained until law enforcement personnel arrive.
- You will be treated with courtesy, respect, dignity and sensitivity.
- Campus Safety personnel will ensure that a victim's advocate is available throughout the process to address your and concerns as well as those of significant others.
- You will be notified of and, upon request, assisted with contacting available counseling and community victims' advocacy services.
- Campus Safety personnel will act thoughtfully without prejudging.
- Assistance will be rendered to serve your needs as well as maintaining your confidentiality as provided by law.
- If you wish to be interviewed, you will be interviewed in a private location. If you wish, you can request to be interviewed by a person of the same gender.
- Students who report a sexual assault that has occurred off campus or at a prior time on campus will be assisted in contacting the appropriate legal authorities and/or service agencies. Please visit our Resources for Victims page for information on contacting a community, state, and federal victims' advocacy and mental health service agencies.
- You have the right to change your academic and (if applicable) living arrangements with Daytona State College.
Rights associated with a Daytona State College disciplinary preceeding:
- Accuser and accused with both have the same opportunity to have others present.
- Both accuser and accused will be notified of the outcome of any disciplinary preceedings
- Victims will be notified of their options for changes in academic and living situation.