Athletic Director's Message
This promises to be an exciting year for Daytona State's varsity sports program. We continue to embrace our holistic approach to bridging the principles of athletics and competition with the high academic standards and achievement expected from our student-athletes. We also challenge our students and staff to be servant leaders, and their enthusiastic involvement in numerous community service learning projects continues to make a positive difference in our local community.
I'd like to extend a special thank you to President Carol Eaton for her tremendous support of our athletic program. Her personal engagement in our fall orientation session, attendance at many of the athletic contests, and participation in our year end student awards banquet are but a few examples of her active involvement and leadership with our program.
The new academic year begins with great anticipation. The thrill of upcoming competition is heightened by the excellent history of our athletic program and its student-athletes. On the field and in the fairways, our Daytona State Falcons distinguished themselves among the nation's best in 2013-2014, with an NJCAA National Championship in Women's Golf, its 7th national title since 2003, and a Mid-Florida Conference Championship in Men's Basketball.
Also this past year, our athletes proved once again that Daytona State's philosophy of putting academics first is helping to prepare tomorrow's leaders on and off the field. Academic honors included:
- National Academic Team of the Year (7th time) – Baseball (3.66 team GPA)
- National Academic Team of the Year (2nd time) – Women’s Golf (3.77 team GPA)
- Women's Softball – 19th place, (3.35 team GPA)
- Women’s Basketball – 32nd place, (3.23 team GPA)
- Women’s Volleyball – 25th place, (3.42 team GPA)
- FCSAA Male Academic Team of the Year – Baseball (8th consecutive)
- FCSAA Female Academic Team of the Year – Women’s Golf
- FCSAA Female Athlete of the Year – Tiffany Chan, Women’s Golf
- 5 NJCAA Exemplary Academic Achievement Awards (3.6 GPA)
- 6 NJCAA Superior Academic Achievement (3.8 GPA)
- 2 NJCAA Pinnacle Award for Academic Excellence (4.0 GPA)
- Athletic Department student cohort earned a cumulative 3.4 GPA for the 2013/14 academic year.
This year promises to be a continuation of academic success for our teams and athletes. I encourage you to get out and see some exciting events and support our student-athletes in all their endeavors during their time at Daytona State. Our collective support matters.
Join me and let's make this year the best ever for our athletic program!
Will Dunne, Athletics Director
Daytona State College