Athletic Director's Message
This promises to be an exciting year for Daytona State's varsity sports program. As we welcome the inaugural women's volleyball team and two new coaches, we continue to embrace our holistic approach to bridging the principles of athletics and competition with the high academic standards and achievement expected from our student-athletes.
I'd like to extend a special thank you to President Carol Eaton for her tremendous support of our athletic program, and also note our new head coaches:
- Laura Stegall – head coach volleyball
- Ryan Ridder – head coach men's basketball
The new academic year begins with great anticipation. The thrill of upcoming competition is heightened by the excellent history of our athletic program and its student-athletes. On the field and in the fairways, our Daytona State Falcons distinguished themselves among the nation's best in 2012-2013, with an NJCAA National Championship in Women's Golf, its 6th national title since 2003, and a 4th-place Mid-Florida Conference finish in Women's Softball.
Also this past year, our athletes proved once again that Daytona State's philosophy of putting academics first is helping to prepare tomorrow's leaders on and off the field. Academic honors included:
- National Academic Team of the Year (6th time) – Baseball (3.66 team GPA)
- Women's Golf – 2nd place, (3.57 team GPA)
- Women's Softball – 32nd place, (3.30 team GPA)
- FSCAA Male Academic Team of the Year – Baseball (7th consecutive)
- 9 NJCAA Exemplary Academic Achievement Awards (3.6 GPA)
- 2 NJCAA Superior Academic Achievement (3.8 GPA)
- 1 NJCAA Pinnacle Award for Academic Excellence (4.0 GPA)
This year promises to be a continuation of academic success for our teams and athletes. I encourage you to get out and see some exciting events and support our student-athletes in all their endeavors during their time at Daytona State. Our collective support matters.
Join me and let's make this year the best ever for our athletic program!
Will Dunne, Athletics Director
Daytona State College